Grown-Up Fig Bars
Inspired by OhSheGlows 5-ingredient Date Bars
- 1 ½ Cups raw, unsalted almonds
- 1 ½ Cups Oats
- 1 tsp salt (original calls for less but I find the sweet salty contrast way too irresistible)
- 10 Medjool Dates (pitted)
- 1/4 Cup Oil (I like to use a local vanilla olive oil but you can pretty much use whatever oil…I still like to add a splash of vanilla extract then too)
- 25 Dried Figs (it’s a rough amount…somewhere around 2 ½ Cups is good)
- ½ Cup Water
Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper
In a food processor (one of my favorite kitchen items 🙂 pulse the almonds, oats and salt until it’s a fine mixture. Add the dates and run the processor until all large chunks are gone. With the processor running add the oil until it is thoroughly mixed and moist (you might need to scrape down the sides a few times). Reserve about 1 cup of this mixture, and press the rest firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan…should stick together and become very dense.
Combine the figs and ½ cup of water in the processor and run the machine until the mixture begins to form a ball (again you might need to scrape down the sides. Spread this mixture on top of the pressed mixture in the pan with a continuously wetted spoon. Sprinkle the reserved mixture on top of this ad give a light pat to just get everything cinched together. Let sit in the fridge for at least an hour (or the freezer…that’s how I like them) and enjoy!