I’m a chocolate girl, always have been and always will be. But sometimes a chocolate berry smoothie is a little too heavy in the morning and sometimes I just feel like I need to mix it up. Tropical Vanilla Chia Smoothie to the rescue!
- 1/2 frozen banana, already peeled
- 1/2 frozen orange, already peeled and cup
- 1/4 cup frozen pineapple (I use Trader Joe’s pineapple tidbits)
- 1/4 cup mango pieces (if I’m feeling like I need an extra pick me up)
- 1 cup liquid (I usually use vanilla unsweetened almond milk and a splash of coconut water, the liquid portion should almost cover the frozen fruit)
- 1 T chia seeds
- decent splash of vanilla extract
- generous handful of spinach
- toppings of choice: for me that’s usually some berries, puffed kamut or other low-cal form of crunch, and cocao nibs
Place all ingredients in the blender (preferably a Vitamix). I usually put in the frozen fruit, chia seeds and vanilla first, then the milk followed by spinach; I find that if I put the spinach in before the liquid I end up adding too much milk…and I like my smoothies on the thicker side). Blend, pour into large glass, top with toppings and enjoy!